What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Root Fairings

NewGuy

Has someone posted pictures of the installation of a Fairings , Etc. wing root fairing? I searched the archives, but did not turn up anything.

The front half of the fairing fits well, but he aft part needs some attention.

I am hoping someone has done the installation and is willing to give some help.

Bob Snedaker got the fairings to me the same week I ordered them. Good guy to deal with.

Ken, here are some pics of my installation. Link

The fairings are very tight. It is difficult, but not impossible, to get them clecoed on. If you can get the first top and bottom clecos started, you are home free.

... Bill

Depending on builder variations, these fairings will need to be trimmed for the rubber seal. When you clecoe them on, or attempt to, mark them initially so you can trim them enough to get them clecloed in place. Then scribe a line to give you about 1/4" to 5/16th inch gap. You then trim back to your scribe line. I used a dremel 1/2" sanding drum to trim. This keeps the edges nice and flat. Snips may tend to curl the edges.

Roberta

I think NewGuy is looking for info specifically concerning Fairings, Etc wingroot fairings like Rob Attaway had. here's a pic

wing%20r2.jpg

Fairings, Etc. Wing Root Fairings

Hydroguy2 is correct. I am specifically looking for help with the Firings, Etc fairings. The set I have does not fit nearly as good as the picture of Rob Attaway's installation.

I would like to know how tight it was on the initial fit up.

Anyone used these fairings?

They're slower

Ken,
A couple of years ago, a guy on here had bought an RV6 I believe, that had those fairings on. He took them off and went with Van's flat, aluminum fairings and gained 7 MPH. You don't need radiused fairings like those when you have a near 90 degree junction between the wing and fuselage of an airplane. Van has it right.

Regards,

Back