What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing root fairing

wings05rv6a

Helo everyone;
The airplane is getting very close to being finished, I painted it and in the process of final assembly. I do have a question to propose to my fellow builders.
I follow this site faithfully, and it has provided a wealth of information.
I have decided to install wing root fairings from (fairings-ect). When I spoke with Bob (owner nice guy), I asked him about performance,(speed) he indicated that performance was
no problem. Reading this site, a couple of posted coments indicated an 8 knot reduction of speed. I would like to know what tests were done to arrive at this, and if possible what was the cause.

Thanks
Bob
RV6a allmost flying pictures soon.:rolleyes:

Bob, a poster on here bought a flying RV-6 or -7 and wondered why it didn't meet Van's performance numbers. He asked and was told that the curved, fiberglass fairings were the cause, so he replaced them with the flat, stock aluminum fairings and ...voilaaa... his speed was back.

Best,

For what it's worth, I have the curved wing root fairings on my RV-7A and it is at least as fast as Van's published numbers. I don't buy the 8-knot speed reduction and feel it's apocryphal. In my opinion the fairings don't add or detract from the speed of the airplane.

And I think they look a LOT better than the flat aluminum ones do.

Last time I checked, Dave Anders had flat wrapped fairings on his RV-4 which is blazingly fast. That is all I need to know.

Based on that alone, I put them on my Rocket. It's not the fastest Rocket out there, but it's no slouch.

Besides, the ease of installation and purchase price of the flat aluminum removes any further question for me.

Dave Anders RV-4

Back