What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Root Fairing

rvator51

Well Known Member
Vans instructions dont say (at least I cant find them) how many screws to put in to hold the wing root fairing to the innermost rib of the wing. I am thinking about putting them every 5-6 inches. Does this sound right?

Dwg 46, 2 1/2"

The plans show 2 1/2" for the bottom overlap, but nothing for the top. Many use the 2 1/2" to avoid pillowing. I skipped every other position making mine 5-6". The risk of spacing them that far is there might be slightly more pillowing between the screws. If your careful when you drill the fairing, it will lay flat as mine does.

Learn from experience.

If you put them on with holes slightly oversize in the fairing (maybe countersink it too) for a large area countersunk washer, this allows for some adjustment or small error in placement.

All you are trying to do is hold it down and have it be good looking.

This is the way Cessna does it and they manage to make a fairing that is inferior to the RV's look decent.

There are plenty of washers to choose from, I would suggest the Cad Plated or Aluminum if you are painting it, and the stainless if you are polishing it.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/specialwash.pdf

Best Wishes,

Back