What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing root fairing

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of fitting my wing root fairings and have an edge distance question. The fairing is located by clecoing the CNC punched holes in the fairing to the top main wing skins (silver clecos). Once I then fold it around the bottom of the wing and cleco it down to the spar and bottom wing skin I get a really nice fit relative to the wing and fuselage but I have a potential edge distance issue with the tanks. If you look at the picture you'll notice that the location of the first three holes forward of the the wing spar will leave me with a tank skin edge distance of something under the 10/32 that is normal for a #8 screw. The first three range from 8/32 on the tank skin to 9/32". All the remaining holes are at least 10/32. Did anyone else find their fairings to fit this way? I got a short email back from Van's saying this edge distance is "probably" OK (I'm assuming since this is just a fairing), but "probably" doesn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? If so, what did you do about it? Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Steve:

One suggestion that I have is to use the type of platenut that has both rivet holes on the same side of the hole for the screw. That way, you can get that screwhole out toward the edge and still have the platenut supported with plenty of tank skin.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Press on... it's only a fairing and the screws will be OK. I'd take Jeff's advice on the plate nuts. This is fairly common and not much you can do about it.

Best,

Thanks Jeff and Scott. I think I actually ordered a couple of those triangular shaped platenuts in my last Spruce order. I'll see if they work there without interfering with the inboard tank rib flange. Appreciate the help.

platenuts

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Thanks Jeff and Scott. I think I actually ordered a couple of those triangular shaped platenuts in my last Spruce order. I'll see if they work there without interfering with the inboard tank rib flange. Appreciate the help.

i don't think they were referring to the "triangular" shaped platenuts, but rather the "one-lug" platenuts, e.g. ms21051 (non countersunk) or ms21053 (countersunk). of course, i could be wrong. :confused:

john

Actually, the triangular platenuts may work. The idea is to get the proper edge-distance for the rivets holding the platenut while still getting that screwhole out toward the edge of the tank skin to have proper edge distance in the fairing.

Go for it.

Side bar ...

I agree that it's a non-issue in this case since there is no structure involved. That said, the picture of your fuselage caught my attention with drawings made, I assume, by your daughter. It just reminded me of the practice I had of having all of my 'helpers' sign somewhere on the inside of the structure that they assisted with. It brings a smile to me when I look in the baggage compartment and 'notice' my father's signature, along with the date we worked in that area. My wife's signature can be found pretty much inside all of the flying surfaces. While the building memories aren't exactly 'faded' for me yet, seeing the writing and the dates has caused me to stop and reminisce from time to time.

Maybe give the kids some colored sharpie pens next time and get em to color on the forward firewall for ya ;o).

N520TX said:
I agree that it's a non-issue in this case since there is no structure involved. That said, the picture of your fuselage caught my attention with drawings made, I assume, by your daughter. It just reminded me of the practice I had of having all of my 'helpers' sign somewhere on the inside of the structure that they assisted with. It brings a smile to me when I look in the baggage compartment and 'notice' my father's signature, along with the date we worked in that area. My wife's signature can be found pretty much inside all of the flying surfaces. While the building memories aren't exactly 'faded' for me yet, seeing the writing and the dates has caused me to stop and reminisce from time to time.

Maybe give the kids some colored sharpie pens next time and get em to color on the forward firewall for ya ;o).
yeah, Ron, the drawings are all about making sure I somehow don't build an airplane entirely at the expense of my young girls. They grow up too fast. I've got a whole fuselage of artwork so I'm going to be one sad puppy the day I have to take the blue plastic off! :(

BTW, Van's replied back and confirmed that I just have to live with the edge distance that the fairings allow but that it in fact doesn't really matter because they are just fairings. As it was, I was able to walk the drill bit over a little bit to end up with slightly more edge distance than the picture shows above. I'm happy now. Wings almost ready to come back off.

Last edited:
Back