What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root fairing seal

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
All,

On the 7A, does the wing root fairing seal (the rubber part) wrap all the way around and go back to spar on the underneath? The whole wing / fuse intersection is somewhat flat there, so I am not sure what becomes of the fairig "lip" on the bottom side?

THanks,
7A

'Not sure if this is possible, but you may want to install the seal with the lip down on the fuselage rather than up, as the higher pressure inside the wing will try to push it out. If you don't do that, then at least apply some adhesive where the lip goes on to the fuselage so that you don't have your seal come off in flight as some have.

After having my gap seal come loose once in flight, I put a small bead of RTV in the bottom of the channel and then installed it on the wing root fairing. Hasn't come loose since.

greg

Keep the gap about 1/4" and it should fit properly and you won't need sealant or adhesive to keep it in place. I never had any problems with mine in four years.

Roberta

The part on the bottom of the wing gets captured under the intersection fairing of the main gear. No way can it come out in flight on my plane.

Back