What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing riveting: time lapse video

datsclark

For no good reason, I bought an IP camera to play with. I have it installed on a rafter in the garage now, so can log in and check on my plane while i'm away during the week. Part of the problem with not living with your project--you want to check in on things; make sure everything is still there :)

I thought it would be fun to set it up to record images during a day while i'm working and see what i could do to make a time-lapse video. I have it set to record a photo every minute only when there's movement. Here's what a snapshot looks like -- not the highest res, and I have some issues with the contrast from the windows. I may need to move the camera to not face the window:

sample_snapshot.jpg

Regardless, here's what I have from last weekend when my Dad helped me buck all the main rib to spar rivets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQdyYpyGwg

The geek part: This is a Foscam FI8918W IP camera. I used the security settings to have it ftp a snapshot every 60 seconds that it detects motion. I then wrote a little script to use ffmpeg to generate the video. I can share this if anyone's interested.

Thanks guys. The plan is to keep saving off the images to make a longer and better video of the progress. Just give me a few years to finish building :-D

Hmmm.... 2000-hour build at 1 frame per minute, played back at 30(?) frames per second. 1-hour-plus to build an RV! (I'd watch it!).

Back