What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rigging

paul330

Well Known Member
I have almost completed my flaps and ailerons and will soon be ready to fit to the wings. From the discussions I have seen, I understand the following to get the alignment correct:

- The flap reflex or cruise position is -3*. So if I put an inclinometer on the rear section of the top wing skin, I need to align the top of the flap at -3*

- The neutral aileron position is the same. So at neutral, both ailerons will sit at -3* in line with the flaps at reflex.

- Having fixed all those in position, the wing tip can be fitted and "eased" so that the trailing edges all line up.

Have I got that right?

No you do not. Put the flaps full up so that they hit the rear spar on the wing. Allign the Alerons to the flaps and the tips to the Alerons.

Don't over think this, just follow Van's directions.

Gary Specketer

- Having fixed all those in position, the wing tip can be fitted and "eased" so that the trailing edges all line up.

Have I got that right?

Yes, flap up tight against spar, aileron aligned with the flap, tip TE aligned with the aileron. Massage the tip until the TE lines up with aileron, don't just start drilling away. I used lots of tape to get it into the final position and it came out perfect. I used hinges to attach the tip which looks great but is a bunch more work. One advantage I found using the hinge was it made it easier to move the tip into the final position. Also if you have an early kit 40180 and earlier, the wing tips were about an inch or so too long and had to be cut off and reglassed.

Big note:MAKE SURE THE STICK IS HELD IN THE NEUTRAL POSITION IF YOU HAVE EVERYTHING HOOKED UP. If you pull back both ailerons drop.

Thanks guys.

Haven't even built the fuselage yet so sticks etc don't come into it - just trying to finish the wings!

I'm interested in the "flaps hard against the spar" - do they come up against the spar every time they are fully raised?

Thanks guys.

Haven't even built the fuselage yet so sticks etc don't come into it - just trying to finish the wings!

I'm interested in the "flaps hard against the spar" - do they come up against the spar every time they are fully raised?

Yes. Well at least mine do.

I will echo, don't over think this. Just follow Van's directions, as noted by others. I found that the critical point was making sure the wingtip was held perfectly in position before drilling. Mine came out fine. I did have one wingtip on kit 40559 that was a good half inch too long. Just a bit more fun fiberglass work.:rolleyes:

Back