What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Ribs

Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
Scratched Wing Ribs

My wing kit arrived 2 days ago. None of the wing ribs were covered by the blue plastic that just about everything else is. More than half of the ribs have scratches. In many places it looks like the aluminum flexxed while being cut and the cutter gouged the rib. The worst area is around the notch on the top of the W-1208 nose ribs. Has anyone else encountered this?
The scratches are more than just cosmetic. The are about as deep in some places as you would get using a scratch awl with moderate pressure to scratch the rib.
I think I can sand and polish the scratches out. It is going to take a while. This will remove the alclading and I will have to prime the ribs.

Last edited:
Mark,

I did not have the problem you described, that is, if I understand. Suggest you post a few pictures, or better yet, e-mail the photos to builders support and ask if such is the norm or should be expected.

Fuselage and Empennage expected here tomorrow.

Mark... All my ribs were covered in blue plastic. Even the replacement ribs I ordered were covered in blue plastic. As I understand it, all the cutting is done by the computerized machine that you can see at the factory. The ribs are then sent out for forming to a sub contractor.

Jeff

Blue Plastic

A quick guess would be that maybe the kit was returned, then shipped to you. I would say it is worth a call anyway. If my guess is correct, they should have let you know before shipping.

John Bender
Iowa

Rib Scratches

Mark, none of my ribs were in the blue wrap. I got it this past summer. There was cellophane around them holding them in a bundle. I did not have scratches on the ribs, but I did have scratches on the spar. I sent photos to Van's they deemed not significant, but they did give me a credit for my trouble. If it is only cosmetic, I'd suggest you don't care because they'll be covered up. And you'll be fluting them, drilling holes and priming them anyway.

Recieved mine in late October. All with the Blue plastic. With the scratches you describe, they might be useable, but in my view for what we pay for them, you should not have to deal with the worry, concern, extra trouble, etc. Van's should send you a new set without further debate.
2-cents,
Dave.

Back