What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rib to Spar Riveting

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I’m about to start riveting my wing ribs to the spar and curious which directions other have done it. I assumed that the manufactured head would be on the rib flange because it is thinner, and the shop head on the spar. I have been watching various videos and see that some do it in opposite direction. The manufactured head on the spar does look easier but it does go against the normal technique of the manufactured head on the thinner metal. Thanks

I’m about to start riveting my wing ribs to the spar and curious which directions other have done it. I assumed that the manufactured head would be on the rib flange because it is thinner, and the shop head on the spar. I have been watching various videos and see that some do it in opposite direction. The manufactured head on the spar does look easier but it does go against the normal technique of the manufactured head on the thinner metal. Thanks
Im building a 7 but I did the shop head on the spar, so into the thicker material like you described above.
What technique worked for me is with the spar on edge on my bench I stacked 2x4 or less or more whatever it would take so my bucking bar was lined up nicely with the rivet.
Now all I had to do was hold the bucking bar straight as it was supported and shoot the rivet. No risk of having it misaligned.
Flex those ribs out of the way enough so you have a clear pathway.

Have fun
A

Last edited:
Im building a 7 but I did the shop head on the spar, so into the thicker material like you described above.
What technique worked for me is with the spar on edge on my bench I stacked 2x4 or less or more whatever it wood take so my bucking bar was lined up nicely with the rivet.
Now all I had to do was hold the bucking bar straight as it was supported and shoot the rivet. No risk of having it misaligned.
Flex those ribs out of the way enough so you have a clear pathway.

Have fun
A
Sweet technique.

Check out my build log. I was able to rivet all the ribs to the spar with the factory head on the spar flange without any major distortion. I used a double offset set without the spring keep and duct taped the set into the gun in the direction I wanted so it would not spin while riveting. Worked great, just went slow and took a couple breaks to keep my mind right.

I did shop head on the spar. But, I don't know if it's ideal because if you need to drill it out, it would be much harder. That is kinda of a big deal for those of us who had to deal with LCPs.

Back