What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing rib rivets Page 15-05

Flyer68

Well Known Member
A couple days ago, I finished riveting the ribs on the left wing. At the end of the instructions were two notes. The first note instructs to install manufactured heads on the rib side, not the flange side. The second note says to use LP4-4 rivets to attach the nose ribs aft flange to the spar assy.
Since the note was at the end of the instructions, I had completed the riveting, and used all LP4-3 rivets. I called Van's, and after some checking there, they said leave the rivets as they are. They said I was the first one to call this one in. I can't believe that no one else is as stupid as I am?
Anyway, I am posting this as a notice to those who are have not done the riveting on the wings to be aware.

Bill

You're not alone ...

I made the same mistake last year. I caught my error after using 22 LP4-3 rivets instead of LP4-4 rivets. :( I called Van's builder's assistance and they advised me to drill 'em out and replace 'em with the LP4-4's. Guess it just depends on who you talk to ... You're not alone.

A couple days ago, I finished riveting the ribs on the left wing. At the end of the instructions were two notes. The first note instructs to install manufactured heads on the rib side, not the flange side. The second note says to use LP4-4 rivets to attach the nose ribs aft flange to the spar assy.
Since the note was at the end of the instructions, I had completed the riveting, and used all LP4-3 rivets. I called Van's, and after some checking there, they said leave the rivets as they are. They said I was the first one to call this one in. I can't believe that no one else is as stupid as I am?
Anyway, I am posting this as a notice to those who are have not done the riveting on the wings to be aware.

Bill
Bill- Just a suggestion- but ,as you start each new section in the manual, read it all the way through- not once , but several times, or at least until you understand it fully. Believe me, most of us early builders learned this lesson the hard way! Some of us, more than once! Steve

I completed my wing before the revision came out to use the LP4-4 rivets. For what it is worth, when I called I was told it really didn't make any difference. Since there is always the risk that when you drill out rivets you may slightly enlarge the hole, I left the LP4-3's in.

I read the wing instructions all the way through before starting construction, even used yellow highlighter on the "LP4-4 instruction" and then when I got to that section I used LP4-3s. I left them in place, there was plenty of rivet showing on both sides. It was the dog's fault....

Wing Rivets

Actually, I did read through the whole section first. But, it was a couple weeks before I got to that part, and I completely missed it.
I know, stupid!

Back