What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing rib placement

dnimigon

Well guys, this is going to sound dumb but. I'm starting my wings and actually starting the right wing first. I just want to clarify the placement of the ribs. We'll say rib W-910. In the DWG 10 they are showing W-910-R and this is in the left wing so I'm guessing this rib in the right wing would be W-910-L. Am I correct on this. So I'm guessing also that each rib that is a "R" in the left wing would be a "L" in the right wing. Told you this was dumb.

You are correct!

Well guys, this is going to sound dumb but. I'm starting my wings and actually starting the right wing first. I just want to clarify the placement of the ribs. We'll say rib W-910. In the DWG 10 they are showing W-910-R and this is in the left wing so I'm guessing this rib in the right wing would be W-910-L. Am I correct on this. So I'm guessing also that each rib that is a "R" in the left wing would be a "L" in the right wing. Told you this was dumb.

The right wing is a mirror image of the left wing. So the right gets L's where the left got R's and vice-versa.

You got it - I did my right wing first as well, simply because it was the right spar that I grabbed first off the pile.

As you've probably already noticed, the plans only show the left hand parts for the airplane. Reverse all -L/-R designations for the right hand side.

Some things that you'll want to take note of - the autopilot servo (if you intend to use one) goes in the right wing, and the pitot tube in the left. Be very careful when you get to the tanks, it's easy to confuse yourself with the left/right change, especially with the Z-brackets that attach the tank to the spar. I gave up on using left/right, and started marking everything inboard/outboard, works much better.

The basic wing frame goes together very quickly - then you seem to stagnate forever while working on the tanks. Don't lose hope, just keep gettin' after it. Once the tanks are done you're down to the short rows, keep plowin'.

I started on my left wing first. When I got to the right wing, I scanned the left wing drawing (the small one) into my computer and reversed the image and printed it out, just to get a view of the rib placement. Thinking backwards is tough!

Another thing - the -L and -R ribs are both used, in both wings, to get the flange orientation set in such a way that it's easy to buck the bottom skin rivets later. Each wing will be a mix of -L and -R ribs, look at the drawings carefully.

Also - I doubt this will affect you since the problem has been known for a while, but do a search on here for bent spars on the 9's, and check yours before you get too far into it. Van's had some 9 main spars get away from them where the flanges were not bent to the correct angle.

The -L and -R refers to the direction of the flange, not left and right wings.

Mel has it right
and study the spar and make sure it is not up side down,that is another way to get burned study the spar and cleco the wing together first befor driving any rivets.I like using the exploded view it is easer to understand. Lee

Thanks

Thanks for the reply guys. I kind of knew I was doing it right. Just wanted to make sure.

Back