What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing rib grommets

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
just started my wing kit. this is an eab project. i plan to run 3 wire 18 ga cable to my strobes and my landing light. the grommets look kind of small for that. what size larger has anyone gone to? is it a part i can get from vans?
thanks

Heyco SB437-5 grommets

Bob,

I enlarged the grommet hole in all the ribs with a step drill to the next size up and ultimately installed Heyco SB437-5 grommets. I?ve run two shielded wires ? one for the nav/strobe and another for the landing lights (installed in each wing) in case the wig wag mode created noise. I also ran the Tygon tubing for the AOA plumbing.

If you are running just one shielded wire, you could easily get by with SB-437-4 grommets. Originally I was planning on using the larger bushings inboard of the stall warning micro-switch and the smaller bushings the rest of the way to the lights ?however discovered that although the two shielded cables would fit into the SB-437-4 grommets, there was a significant drag that likely would have made adjusting the rib positions during skinning tougher so I elected to use the larger grommet in all the holes. Both the SB-437-4 and SB-437-5 grommets fit the same hole so using the larger grommet was an easy choice for me.

Happy building,

hi all,
thanks to all who have responded. i am putting in ztron lights and i am quite sure they recommend #18 ga 3 wire shielded. steins seems to be the only supplier i found so i guess the logical next step is to order my wire and then pick the grommet........and use that one in the fuse. too.

Consider 20 gauge wire in the wings

Bob,

I see the peak current draw for those navigation lights is only 1.5 amps and 400ma is average. You may want to consider doing what I did which is to run 20 gauge shielded wire in each wing because the distance is small, there is less weight and the grommets can be smaller. In the fuselage from the panel switches to the wing connectors 18 gauge shielded will be used to handle the total current for both wing lights. I did the same thing for the landing lights as well. AeroLEDs has 20 gauge aviation grade shielded wire on their Web site if you need a source. I found the 18 gauge wire from a supplier in Florida but don?t remember their name off the top of my head. If you need it PM me and I'll try to check receipts.

You could ask Ztron if the above scenario would be acceptable for their lighting. Being only 1.5 amps peak and 400ma average current per unit, can?t imagine such a low current draw device requiring 18 gauge wire for the entire run into both wings.

Happy building,

Back