What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rib Confusion?

Naruto

Well Known Member
I'm a little confused on the rib orientation and markings for each wing. Each rib has a sticker marked with a "L or a "R". Does this mean the "L" ribs go with the left wing and the "R" ribs go to the right wing? Also the drawing showing the left wing also have "L" and "R" on each rib description. Does this mean which way to orient the ribs?

I started out by using only the ribs with "L" in the sticker for the left wing and just oriented them per the drawing but the ribs don't line up right when I do this. I would appreciate some advise.

You have both L & R ribs in both wings. Look at the plans close and it will come together for you. Also, there are different L & R ribs. Look close and double check them. It can be confusing...:eek:

What he said...

Look closely at the plans for which rib goes where. Once I had worked it out I then labelled each one with a number from inboard to outboard so I wouldn't get confused.

Looking at the left wing drawing, it has rib W-710-R first , then W-711-R second, then W-711-R third and W-711-L fourth, ect.

Since there is no right wing drawing, I assume I do the opposite of the left wing. I assume the first rib should be rib W-710-L first , then W-711-L second, then W-711-L third and W-711-R fourth, ect on the right wing? Is my thinking correct?

Last edited:
I was as well little pissed off when I realised that left ribs doesn't go to the left wing... I didn't screw anything but looked at least 2 - 3 times that correct rib would be in correct place. However would it really make such a big difference even they would be mixed... althougt riveting might become a bit more challenging.

The L and R refer to the direction of the rib flanges, not which wing the ribs go in. The same part number rib will be used in some locations on the left wing, and some locations on the right wing. Having the same part number for the same design wing rib reduces the number of different part numbers, allowing higher volume production of each part, simplifies inventory managment, and helps keep Van's costs down. The low cost of the kits is one thing that attracts many builders to RVs in the first place. Confusion like this is one of the prices we pay for the low cost kits.

I pick my wing kit up Thursday afternoon. This thread may have just saved me a couple hours of thinking. This forum is extremely helpfull.

Be careful because the root ribs are thicker than the others, hence the different part numbers.

Keep in mind the REASON for the orientation, and you'll easily figure out what orientation is what. Fast-forward to when it's time to rivet on the last of the skins. The ribs are oriented so that you can get at the rivets to buck. If they're turned the wrong way, you wont' be able to get at them through the access holes.

So all of the ribs are actually oriented toward the nearest access point for bucking.

Back