What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing removal

Mick.B

I'm New Here
Just about to construct a new house and am trying to work out a area to build an RV-7. How hard/easy is it to remove 1 or both wings once constuction is finished for transport reasons. Thanks Mick

I never put the wings on my -8 until i moved it to the airport, about two months before first flight. When I did mount them, I had to take them off twice in the same day to do a little fiddling with the lower wing/fuse fairing - as long as you put them on with ground-down hardware-store bolts/drift pins, and don't use the close-tolerance bolts until you're putting them on "for good", removing them is not a big deal at all.

Paul

HA-HA-HA

I built an RV-6A and I installed, removed and reinstalled the wings. I think the later model RVs, especially tail draggers should be relatively easy.

Bob Axsom

It's easy

to remove them, as long as you don't use the final bolts.

We used hardware store bolts with the threads cut off to "pin" the wings in place to drill the aft spar and fit all the control surfaces prior to moving to the airport.

My basement is around 1,100 sq-ft and the 28' wingspan on the -9 fit just fine.

Dive past Vne and then pull back on the stick really hard... they come right off.. no fuss..

may need a few tries in case you don't pull back hard enough..

OK ok.. just kiddin... don't try that at home.. :)

I installed mine with hardware store bolts for construction and it took all of about 20 minutes to completely remove both. That included removing the fairing, disconnecting fuel and vent lines and removing attach bolts.

:)use hardware bolts for fitting and removing is no big problem. i did mine in my garage one wing at a time, moved to airport wingless and my 7a was flying exactly 30 days later with no problems. my wings were on for fitting and final assembly only, for a total of two times. would not like to remove them after assembly with close tolerance bolts. fwiw fred

Back