What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Parts Storage?

JVolkober

Well Known Member
Well, I am about to order the wing kit. Looking at the shipping specs, I can expect close to 400lbs in parts. How much shelving, storage space will I need to keep all this in order? Suggestions and recommendations?

There's really not much to the wings in terms of parts. The spars are where all the weight is and the ribs are pretty compactly packed. What I did that worked well is just keep the one crate with the skins in it and leave everything you don't need immediately in that. In fact, you can even tip that crate up on it's long side and it really won't take much room at all. I still use that same crate for my fuselage parts which I picked up uncrated. Hope this helps. One thing you do need to make provision for is the wingtips. They should not be stored laying down. They should be stood on thier inboard edges to avoid warping over time. Storing them long term then will probably be the biggest challenge. Good luck.

For my -7 wings, about 15 linear feet of shelving was fine for ribs, aileron and flap parts. My work bench is 3" wide and a very shallow platform (made from the crate parts) underneath the bench top holds all the flat skins. The leading edges and a few other big parts went under the bench. A couple drawers for hardware, and you're set. You can see the bench set up in the pic.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back