What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing painting support

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Maybe missed it , but for those who have painted their wings I would like your experience in supporting the wings for painting. The spar end is pretty obvious if painting wing in a vertical position, but how to support the tip end is the question. Is a 2x4 slid thru the handhold the best way, or is it better supported by blocking up the flat (w/o the flaperons on of course) trailing edge? Also, what other methods are there? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
DickSeiders
ps. I haven't reported on fuel tank test results yet as I have not yet done the (5th) test.

My method

RV-12WingPainting100_1037.jpg

Used an engine hoist, and put a pin thru the center flaperon bracket. Could raise and lower as needed. Held main spar in 3 step ladder to stabilize.

John Bender

For my 6, I used 3 & 4" PVC piping around 5' long, thru the ribs lightning holes. This are supported by sawhorses, and can easily be rolled over.
I had seen this method used several times beforehand.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

RV-12_Wing_Rack__Medium_.jpg

Abbott Aviation, Aurora, NE (Top Gun Aircraft Refinishing) converted a rotisserie fuse rack just for the RV-12 wings to be able to paint the bottom with a roller chair. It uses pins just like the plane. The painter likes having the surface flatter rather than upright. Made it easy for fiberglass tip prep, and to acid etch and alodine, and to move around the wings while painting.

Last edited:
Back