What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Mounting?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
Which side do the nuts on the wing splice bolts face - fore or aft?

Also does anyone know which drawing they are shown on?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Fitting Wings

I put the nuts for the close tolerance bolts on the aft side. Most of the rest had to come in the other way because of the landing gear mounts.

I don't recall which drawing it is on or if it even specified - I do remember trying to figure out how to do it the other way - for about a half a minute.....

No landing gear mounts on the wing spar of the -6.

Typically the nuts would go on the aft side, but if it's difficult, they can go on the forward side. Just put them on so that you can tighten by turning the nuts.

jsharkey...I do not have my drawings handy, but I do remember that there is no one drawing that shows the entire carry-through with all the bolts called out.

I ended up making my own drawing that showed the entire carry through and bolt hole locations and sizes. I also included the x4 steel splice plates that tie the two wings together. (On my 6A I also included the main gear mounts and bolt call-outs). And, I also included the locations for the fuel valve side mounting plates that also mount with the wing bolts, and the x4 reinforcing doublers that tie into the cockpit floor angle strips.

Most of the bolts were installed with the nuts on the aft side, 2 or 4 needed to go the other way. Also, I ended up using 2 of the NASxxxx bolts, special washers, and nuts. These NAS bolts (and not NASCAR) have small, 12point heads that allow the use of a smaller socket to torque the nuts. These were needed in the main gear mount area where the normal bolt call-outs would not fit due to clearance issues.

If you are at the point of final wing attach...CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm looking at the 6 /6A preview plans set. The drawings you asked about are 15, 31, 32, and 46. If you opt for Van's wiring kit, you will also receive an OP drawing that indicates it its ok to drill a hole, centered, in the F604A Bulkhead, above the steel spar splice plates (drawing at hanger some 50 miles from home and I do not remember the hole diameter or actual drawing number). Hope this helps...

Many thanks - I have these drawings but they don't detail the bolts so I guess it's follow good practice - i.e. torque the nut if possible - but otherwise it's arbitrary.

I'm guessing that it'll be easier to pass the bolt through the spar laminations first and then align and tap them through the thinner bulkhead - therefore nuts to the rear!

I'll find out at the weekend:)

Jim Sharkey

Installed mine (RV-6) this weekend

I could not find the info on the plans either. I called Van's and they said it did not matter which direction they went. They said most put them in from the front with the nuts aft. This is how I did on all but a couple that went through my fuel valve support. I wanted to be able to take off the supoort by just taking off the nut and not remove the bolts. A couple notes:

1. The bottom 3/8" bolts needed two washers, the top only needed one. I don't know why, yours may be different.
2. The four (4) 1/4" bolts at the sidewalls between the spars are AN4-16A.
3. The #10 bolts through the front and rear bulkheads at the sidewalls are AN3-16A.
4. The four #10 bolts through the control support angles are AN3-17A.
5. The rest of the #10 bolts are AN3-15A.
6. Two (2) of the 3/8" bolts at the bottom were in a notch in the seat rib. You have to put the washers and nuts on when the bolts are just barely through then push the rest of the way on as the nuts are tightened. I could not torque these two nuts.
7. The two bolts through the brackets connected to the floor angles are AN3-16A.

PS My wife is already making plans to fly to Bennington next October to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We stayed there a couple days on our Honeymoon in 1984. I'm sure it will be an even nicer trip in an RV.

Last edited:
Fuel Valve Pedestal & Center Console Detail

Does anyone have pictures showing the installation of the RV6 Fuel Valve Pedestal and Center Console channel? In particular the connections to the side plates, seat pans and floor angles.

Also it looks like you have to dismantle the fuel lines and valve pedestal to get the seat pans off. Any better ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

Last edited:
Does anyone have pictures showing the installation of the RV6 Fuel Valve Pedestal and Center Console channel? In particular the connections to the side plates, seat pans and floor angles.

Also it looks like you have to dismantle the fuel lines and valve pedestal to get the seat pans off. Any better ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a pic of my 6A's fuel pedestal. The seat pan has a forward piece riveted to it, with a half moon cut into it, to fit around the fuel selector; that simply screws to this assembly with two screws. No removal of fuel lines is required. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the finished product, without the seats being in the way.

L.Adamson

Found one.

Of course, the GPS is now different, along with the radio, stick grip, A/P ..... :)

L.Adamson

Back