What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Light Issue

I'm completing the second leading edge. I started looking for the second wing light hardware and can't find it anywhere. Soooo. I either have to buy a second light kit, or I can use a wing tip set of lights. Has anyone put a set of wing tip lights in a -7? I could easily put the wing tip lights in later and I wouldn't have to cut the leading edge. I have the wingtip landing lights already and it would be tempting to install the wing tip version. I could use the one light in the left wing as a taxi light with a different aim point.:confused:

I know what you're talking about when you say you can't find something.... I'm at this point too and wondering kinda the same thing. I'm trying to decide if I should go with cut in leading edge lights or wing tip lights. Anybody have a opinion on which would be better? I would imagine the cut in leading edge lights are better because I see more of them on pics of rv's but how do the wing tip lights perform? As for not finding your lights, you'll find the hardware as soon as you order new stuff:D

Has anyone put a set of wing tip lights in a -7?

Dave,

I put both landing and taxi lights in each wingtip- a 35 watt HID and a 75 watt halogen. The Halogen lights will shine forward as the landing lights for visibility in the air and the 35 watt HIDs will aim down and forward so I can see where I taxi.

Both lights fit very well, it just takes a bit of careful effort.

Ken Korenek
Arlington, Texas
RV7 wings 99% complete

If you can't find your second Duckworks kit, just build your own by copying the original. You can actually find the exact same light at Harbor Freight for about 3 bucks and the brackets would be a piece of cake to make. The only thing you would need is the plexi. I'm kind of hitting myself for spending $75 each for two of them a few years ago. There's maybe $10 of parts in each. Hope this helps.

Website with Photos of Wing Tips?

Does anyone have a construction website with the wingtip lights? My wingtips look like the face where the lights would mount is angled outboard slightly. According to Vans - "The light system WILL NOT fit tips with curved trailing edges like the W-715 nor will it fit the older tip W-415. This light system is ONLY available for wing tips with part number W-715-1 which have shipped in all RV-7/7A andRV-8/8A kits since August 2005." Of course I have the curved trailing edge with the smaller mounting area. :rolleyes:

Back