What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing kit

Pirkka

Well Known Member
I just had an idea and need some information to realize it. Planned originally for a QB wing and fuselage, but now I've second thoughts so I quess I'll go with the slow-build wing.

Fuel tank caps: I don't care much about anything else but they have to be lockable so should I go with deluxe caps? There is also retrofit lockable caps, but if building from the scratch, why don't spend 10 bucks more for each and get deluxe version? Are Van's caps worth of looking or should I search from futher -- Spruce has many brands available.

Fuel return line: Are fuel lines included in wing kit or are they in fuselage or finishing kit? Does any of these kits include return lines? Should I get hose from the Van's? I still don't know whether I'm going to need return line, but I think it's better to do it right away...

Electric airleon trim: It's listed in fuselage section of Van's order form so the spring system isn't in wing but inside fuselage? How does this work with the autopilots?

Flap positioning systems: FPS-plus-nt seems to be good and allows retrofit. However, how much easier it is to get this before putting wing skins together? I quess the only question is that were is that sensor which keeps track in which position the flaps are or is this included in wing kit (as it's electric already)?

Capasitive fuel senders: There seems to be different type of them since there are different kind of converters available. Shoud I get something else than Van's senders then? If going for extra fuel tanks, which aren't directly connected to the main tanks, does Dynon for example support fuel monitoring for four tanks?

Autopilot: I never considered anything like this before I flew RV(6) first time. If you need to look at the map of do anything else than concentrate on keeping it on level, any altitude and/or attitude hold would be extremely nice. Therefore, if installing 2-axis autopilot, where exactly the airleon servos are located? So when they should be ordered? Or would it be money-wise to order just servos for a start and later the autopilot itself? At least TruTrak is offering servos separately and if it takes time until their EFIS comes out, the servos could be already installed (like my installation would be just now... ;)).

ER tanks: Going to do something, but not yet planned how... still figuring this out.

Inverted flight: If considers flying inverted, is there anything else to consider for wings than flop-type pickup tubes?

Drain valves: Van's are ok or should I look from futher?

I quess that would be all for now. Hopefully didn't make many typos since it's over midnight here already... Any comments are appreciated, thanks!

Back