What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Kit - What else to order??

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
I am prepping the order for my slow build wings and am trying to figure out what else is needed with it. If I were to order my panel today (which I wont for at least 5 years) it would consist of 2 dynon skyviews a 696 in the center, dynon auto pilot with GTX 327 and SL40 for a VFR panel. Now this most likely will not be what I order 5 years from now when I am ready for it but you get the idea of what im going for. As far as lighting go I plan on a standard Vans Nav and Strobe set up with the Wiskey Victor Landing lights integrated into the wingtip.

I am clueless as of the pitot system and what antennas, Compasses and all that jazz is needed to be in the wings during the build. To make it easy I AM CLUESS and after hours of research on the site I am only more confused..... If someone would take the time and explain what i need to order including wiring that would be such a huge help. Thanks alot and Happy thanksgiving to everyone.
-david

Since you are going with Dynon, order their pitot tube and the Gretz pitot mount.

Then when you get to the stage in the planes where they tell you to drill a hole in the spar flange for the Van's pitot tube, DON'T. Install the Gretz mount.

You will also need some tubing for the AOA and Pitot lines, contact SafeAir1 and get their stuff. Simple and easy to install. (Only don't cut the lines, leave them long and run them all the way to your panel during the finall assembly at the airport.) You might as well buy their static port while you are at it.

Check out my wing page for details on the Gretz install and AoA/Pitot line runs.

From Van's I would order their conduit to make future wire runs easier.

Congrats on ordering the wing!

I really like your setup in the wingtips and think I am going to go with it. Would the WhiskeyVictor wingtip lights work well with the set up as well?? Also what addition wiring is needed?? anything besides pitot tube that has the AOA integrated into the pitot mast?? The last persons wing I looked at had tons of wiring in it and that is why i am so confused i think. Also why do you choose the Gretz mount over the Safeair 1 pitot mast, it seems to be cheaper and lighter than the Gretz.

After a little more research and trying to understand here is what I have pieced together.
Dynon Pitot AOA Tube Aircraft Spruce.com $195.00
Pitot Static Plumbing Kit Averytools.com $85.00
AOA Plumbing Kit Averytools.com $27.95
SafeAir1 Pitot Mast Averytools.com $53.50
Skybright nightlights-strobe Airplanegear.com $329.00
75w Halogen landing WhiskeyVictor.com $120.00

Anything else??

Also where is the best place to get the physical wire for everything. I have read that Vans complete wiring package is pretty good but alot is not used is this true??

Last edited:
FlyGuy,

Call the good folks over at Aerotronics and purchase some shielded wiring for the lighting. Im still on the tail and they sold me on using shielded wiring on my posistrobe from MidAmerica to cut down/out interference from lighting components back feeding thru the headsets. Talk to Jason at (406) 259-5006.

Good luck..

Last edited:
Since you are going with Dynon, order their pitot tube and the Gretz pitot mount.

Bill, I am getting close to taking order on the wings and plan on going with the GRT EFIS and the Trutrack AP. Do you think that the Gretz is still the way to go with these products. Also what would you recomend for a good pitot tube.

Thanks....

rivet squeezer

you might think about getting a nuematic rivet squeezer. we did slow build wings, and my dad thought he was going to be permantly disabled from all the rivet sqeezing.
have fun
-E-

you could order some spare fuselage longeron angles while you've got a long crate being shipped... I wish I'd done that, but then I'm building in Australia.

I agree with what Bill R said regarding Pitot. The Gretz, or SafeAir1 also has a pitot mount that is designed for the Dynon. Also, you might want to consider gas caps, if you decide to go for the upgrades you can swap them out on the wing order. Also, a decision on fuel pick ups can help at this point. Flop tube, or the pre-fab standard pick up that Van's offers. If you go with flop tubes I would consider the capacitive senders, as you will need to modify the float set up to insert a flop tube. No mod needed if you have capacitive senders. Make sure you have all the primer you need and look at sites to get a good idea of the wing jig that you are planning on putting together. Just some thoughts from me.. Just starting my fuel tank pro-seal treatment this weekend. ;-)

Oh, and also you could get the $50.00 servo mount kit for the wing servo from Dynon and appropriate wires if you are going with their autopilot.

Last edited:
3/32 clecos

Many SB wing builders (including me) have to boost the supply of 3/32 clecos during wing construction. The recommended qty on vans website is bare minimum for one wing. If you do any parallel construction, buy or borrow another hundred or two.

more complete list

Wing Kit +Crating $6505.00
Dynon Pitot/AOA Tube $195.00
Pitot Static Plumbing Kit $85.00
AOA Plumbing Kit $27.95
SafeAir1 Pitot Mast $53.50
Skybright Nightlights $329.00
75W Halogen Landing Lights 2@$59.00
Deluxe Gas Cap 2@$100.00
Dynon Autopilot Servo Mount $75.00
150 Additional 3/32 Clecos $60.00
Estimated Shipping for all $500.00