What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Joint Plate

Naruto

Well Known Member
My right tank skin and LE skin do not sit perfectly flush when clecoed. The tanks skin sits slightly higher than the LE skin. When I tighten down the tank skin #8 screws, the tanks skin sits flush with the LE skin a lot better. I do notice that the open space between the #8 screws is still not quite flush where the tank skin still sits slightly higher. I can push the tank skin with my finger and push it flush to the LE skin with a little pressure.

I would like to know if I can add more nutplates and #8 screws between the open space of the tanks skin and the joint plate nutplates?

Is there anything wrong with adding more nutplates and screws that I am not thinking about?

Last edited:
Mine is doing this a little also. When you put the shims in, do you just slide them under the skin while it is still riveted or do you remove rivets and then put shim in? I guess to me it's not that bad and I'm not to worried about it but if there is a quick fix I'm all ears.

I actually drilled the rivets out and then re-riveted after match drilling the shims...nice tight fit.

I believe the page from Brad's site mentions drilling them out too. Guess it comes down to what the paint will/is able to cover :eek:

Joe

I have a hard time getting myself to drill out a perfectly good rivet and take the chance of making the next rivet bad. Think I'll leave well enough alone. I do think that you should easily be able to put more plate nuts in if you want. Don't think there would be any issue at all doing that.

Well.......each plate nut has TWO rivets.;)

Plus you're adding a screw to the wing surface at each location.

You can always call Van's or ask a Tech counselor. That's the best way to get an answer anyway, IMO

Joe

I asked Vans the same question...

...and got the following reply:

"We haven't analysed the structural or engineering implications of this modification, and don't have time to do so. We don't have the resources to examine deviations from the plans for builders.

On a practical level, it doesn't seem like a big change, so if you feel comfortable doing it, go ahead."

No big surprise, the first part is Vans standard response to builder mods. After looking at Brad Oliver's excellent website, I decided to go with shims to solve the same problem that Dan is experiencing.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Last edited:
Back