What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Jig

flyer76

About to take the next step in the build and get the wings ordered.....:eek:...I guess Santa thinks I have been a good boy. I have been going back and forth between QB or slow build...and finally decided that the slow build is the winner...but only because I don't have an extra $5K laying around and a wedding in 2 months :D...so my pride wants to take the plunge and do it all myself..so we will see how it turns out....

So my question...

I have studied the plans for the wing stand, but have also seen some pretty nice metal ones on builders sites that take up next to no space- with space being a factor (2 car garage single door and not overly deep either) - are there any recommendations or thoughts as to the jig? I will have to modify to accommodate for the garage door when open and have a sneaky suspicion that I will build more than I need. I have a sketch as well if anyone cares to see what path I might take.

Thoughts?

Paul ,

Congrats on your wing kit. Check out this website. He has all the dimentions and it is a good fit for a two stall garage. I built mine for 70.00 plus the angle iron getting welded by a friend. I think this is a pretty cheap way to go if you dont mind putting some small holes in your garage floor. :D

http://www.rudigreyling.com/rv7.html

Check out tips and tricks tab.

Last edited:
Used Rudi's design, too

I also used Rudi's design and it worked great. My garage wasn't deep enough to build the one on the plans that attaches to the ceiling as the garage door would interfere.

IMG_0993.JPG

Paul,

I built my own wing jig in my small 2-car garage with accomodation for opening the garage door. No holes in the floor, either. I used 4 x 4's and 2 x 4's and it was very inexpensive and unbelievably sturdy. It all came apart easily when my wings were finished. You can see my plans and lots of photos here:

Wing Support Stand

I really liked the way this worked out for me, and I would do it again exactly the same way if I were to do it again.

Good luck with your project. The wings are fun to build!

Last edited:
Back