What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Jig Height?

David Paule

Well Known Member
Looking ahead a bit, I'm wondering what height above the floor you folks building standard-build wings have the main spar. And how's that working out for you? I'm assuming you're building it leading-edge up like the SK-13 sketch in the plans suggests.

Did you have to do much work on a ladder or a chair?

Any recommendations for the jig from your experience?

Thanks!

Dave

I made mine so that the spar would sit about armpit high. It allowed me to comfortably reach over the spar until the leading edge was on.

Good luck.

My spars are about workbench height, about 36 inches, IIRC. A little low for comfortable riveting of the skins, but not bad. (Beggars can't be choosers; I borrowed the stands;))
FP04012013A000OY.jpg

One nice feature is that once the top skins are riveted on you can rotate the wing for better access to aft edge.
FP04012013A000P0.jpg

Another nice feature is that initial leveling of the ends to ensure no twist is a breeze.

Recommendation

Well, I followed Fred's advice to put the spar at armpit height, and want to refine it just a bit. If I were doing it again, I'd raise it up a bit so that I could reach the clecos that go into the rear spar and top skin without bending over.

For me, with my short arms, that would put the main spar closer to the top of my shoulder.

Dave

Also, I drag the shop vacuum all over the shop - might be a good idea to ensure that it'll fit under the wing. Fortunately, mine does.

Dave

Your "3" Wing

Hey David: Is your wing an old one from a kit you took over, or is it a new "b" wing? thx.

Doug Lomheim
RV-3 restoration (pre-flight actions will resume once the temp gets back in the 40's!)

It's the "B" wing, a slow-built kit. Right now doing the tanks. Drilled the rivet holes for one of the locking fuel caps today.

Dave

Height

I don't know if it is applicable on a -3 but I hung the wings on my -8 high enough to install the flaps and ailerons with the wings on the fixture. Worked out great as I was able to shim the trailing edge of the flap and aileron off the floor to establish good alignment.

RV3 Wing Jig

That's what I plan on doing when I get to the wings,using my RV8 wing jig.

Finishing tail section
Getting lumber for the Fuselage jig.

Chris Santschi RV8 N627CS "Second Chance"
RV3B In progress.

I'd have to go measure it but I think the main spar is about at 48" above the floor. You do a lot if riveting on the main spar so you want that to be at a comfortable working height. I've done most of the rivets by myself. One problem I had was I had to lay on the floor and reach up to buck the top skins. The higher the rear spar off the floor the harder it is to reach. If you have a helper then this doesn't matter.

One other thing to read carefully on the plans is the distance between the inside of the supports for the main spar. I instead spaced the inside of the posts that far apart and I ended up having to cut away some of the angle supports since the skins extend past the ribs.

Wing Jig Height

Finally got around to checking the spar height on my 8 jig, which I plan on using for the 3.. Main spar 48 in..

Chris

Wing jig - another thought

When building my 6A I did both wings at the same time by placing a wing on each side of the jig...I alternated starting each step from left to right with the benefit of any new lesson being applied to the other side while still fresh in my mind.

Back