What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Installation

rcarson

Well Known Member
Yesterday I installed my wings with the help of four of our chapter members. All went well untill the left wing inboard lower 7/16 bolt which would not go more than about 1.25" in. It is not moving at all. I started by having the bolts in dry ice all night and lubing them with motor oil and all the others went in with little trouble for both wings. I used a rivit gun and a 1.5lb lead hammer with no effect. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to remove this bolt? I don't want to turn it for fear of breaking it off if I apply too much tension (even though I think this would be difficult to do considering the diameter). Is there an extraction tool that anyone is aware of that Snap On or Mac carries that would work. I will call Vans tommorrow since this certainly can't be a unique situation but I thought someone may have a good way to accomplish this task. Keep in mind there is 2" of the bolt still showing so it can be gotten at.

Tighten or clamp

I read on here and found to be true that as things tighten up it makes it easier. I worked from the outside bolts in and I tightened them as I went, I found that drift pins that where snug just slid in and out the more bolts where installed. Having the spar clamped together seems to get things aligned and fit better.

Hopefully someone will have a tool idea if you still need to get the bolt out. My guess is removing it might be a good idea as there might be a smoothing snagging. I inspected all of my bolts and had one with a small irregularity in the plating, looked like it was dinged with something sharp. I polished this smooth with some fine sand paper.

I did not use any dry ice, I just put Boelube on all the bolts before installation. I did use a rivet gun with a brass set to get some installed. The last couple just went in with a soft head hammer.

Good Luck

Back