What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing/Fuselage intersection faring question

patterson

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi
I am wondering about changing the wing/fuse intersection faring from the stock Van's (funny looking IMO) fiberglass farings to aluminum with rubber seal that match the wing profile. Problem is, you have to make a new wing attach bracket for the lower fuel tank attach point in order to hide the bracket and bolt under the lower straight profile fairing.

If you have done this, would you give me an idea of how to make this bracket and still have a strong lower attachment to the lower fuse longeron?

Thanks
Ron
N8ZD

We did

We just finished these on my buddy's new -4. Van sells them for about 15 bucks for the -6 and we cut them narrower. If you watch the height of the tank attach brackets, they won't interfere.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Regards,

I did exactly what you describe and it worked out well. I ended up redesigning the front tank mount a little to be the same as the -7. The stock -4 mount attaches to two stringers, placing it too low to hide inside the fairing. The -7, on the other hand, uses a short piece of angle inside the plane that ties the two stringers together vertically. The tank mount then attaches to this. It's not as complicated as it sounds. Somebody on here was kind enough to send me photos of the -7 plans, but I can't seem to find it. Hopefully, somebody more adept than me at searching can figure it out.

Back