What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing/fuselage build dependency?

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about building a RV-12 with a buddy. But we live about 45 minutes away from each other. We were thinking that one of us could build the wings and the other could build the fuselage, and then bring them together later in the build at an airport that is between us.

The question is, do you need the wings to build the fuselage or vice versa? e.g. for fitting etc.

Thanks,
Michael-

No problems at all. It's NOT like some of the other models to where one subkit is necessarily dependent on the other. Your buddy could build wings in Alaska and you could build the fuselage in England. It all works, amazingly well. You guys will be fine building the wings and fuse in different locations. No problem at all.

Now, deep into the fuselage build you'll need to marry the wings and flaperons to the fuselage for match drilling. But back to my point, there's NO problem doing the bulk of the assemblies in different places.

Sounds like a really cool plan!

*Edit: like others have mentioned below, you'll need to make the 45-minute drive once, to match the spar stubs/receptacles. But that's a very quick and simple task.

Last edited:
You may need to do some minor skin trimming at the inboard end of the wings and around the spar opening, but it's no big deal and easily accomplished when you install the wings. BTW make sure you lube the spar pins or you will probably get them stuck. A little grease makes all the difference.

The question is, do you need the wings to build the fuselage or vice versa? e.g. for fitting etc.

Thanks,
Michael-

You could probably just take a template of the forward and aft wing stub spar assemblies (the tabs that go into the fuselage) and mail them for final fitting of the forward and aft stub spar receptacles in the fuselage. See 21-10 Step 9

Jeff

I am building the fuse. Skipped the wings. In addition to the main wing spar there is a front and rear sub spar. The male ends of the 2 wing sub spars need to fit into the female receptacles in the fuse. these need to be shaped to fit into each other. That would be hard to do if you completed the fuse without having the spar ends from the wings. I suppose you could smooth up the receptacles in the fuse and then work on the male ends of the sub spars to fit when you build the wings.

I pulled the appropriate pieces from the wing crates when the fuse plans said they needed to be matched up and fit the pieces together before enclosing the receptacles in the fuse. Seems like a better way than trying to match them up later.

Maybe I am making too much of a deal out of this?? I am not an experienced builder so that's a definite possibility.

You could probably just take a template of the forward and aft wing stub spar assemblies (the tabs that go into the fuselage) and mail them for final fitting of the forward and aft stub spar receptacles in the fuselage. See 21-10 Step 9

Jeff

Again, I am not an experienced builder but I would want the two pieces to ensure a proper fit, not a template.

Not an issue.

I built my wings two years before they were fit to the fuselage - They sat in storage logn before I was ready to assemble the aircraft. The fit was amazingly tight (in a good way). Pre-drilled parts should make these wings the same size no matter where they are assembled.

Had I not followed the instructions on page 20-02 step 7(rear spar receptacle), and page 21-10 step 9 (stub spar receptacle) which call for filing to match the mating ends of the spar assemblies with the spar receptacles, I would have had proper fit problems. They would not have fit at all. In my mind without having the parts in hand to match up, you are taking a chance. Maybe I was over thinking the issue but I know I have matched parts.

My kit is from early 2010. Maybe the newer kits fit better

Had I not followed the instructions on page 20-02 step 7(rear spar receptacle), and page 21-10 step 9 (stub spar receptacle) which call for filing to match the mating ends of the spar assemblies with the spar receptacles, I would have had proper fit problems. They would not have fit at all. In my mind without having the parts in hand to match up, you are taking a chance. Maybe I was over thinking the issue but I know I have matched parts.

My kit is from early 2010. Maybe the newer kits fit better

Good point, and that would be a great reason to make his 45-minute drive to match fit (file) the receptacles. But other than that quick task, I see no other reason that the two assemblies can't be built in different locations.

I just fit the two pieces BEFORE installation of them. Goes sweetly that way, except nobody told me to be careful how much I removed from the wing part:mad:

I over did it when filing my stub spar end to fit. My mistake was not realizing I had interference between the lower wing skin and fuselage skin. It was corrected with a 0.025" shim plate.

Back