What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing dihedral

Larkrv10

Hi all, does anyone know the wing dihedral angle of the -10? I could go level the plane and install a wing but thought asking might be easier.
Thx
Rick
Southampton, Ont

3 degrees?

Edit: I originally posted something different but had a complete fail with protractor alignment. If you happened to see it, please forgive me, it's early and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet :eek:

Anyway, If you trust the 3-view schematic diagram from Van's, and my amazing Microsoft Paint skills, it appears to be around 3-3.5 degrees. Hope this helps!!

dihedral.png

Not a dumb question, this is related to how I tripped up initially when I made my first diagram. I believe it's easiest to measure beginning where the dihedral begins, which for most aircraft would be at the wing root (since the center section is straight as it passes through the fuselage).

An alternative that would work, I think, would be to extend the wing span lines until they intersect at the aircraft centerline, and then you could measure the angle using that as an origin point (in the diagram I used, this imaginary point would be slightly under the belly of the fuselage). They should come out to the same angle.

Disclaimer: I've already gotten this wrong once today, and my geometry skills are probably not what they were in college. If anyone has a counterpoint or a better way of explaining, please be my guest :D

wing diedral

Mike, I did the same as you, used the drawing of the RV10. I even had the drawing blown up to about 30"x36". My best geometric skills say 4 degrees but that seems like a lot. I expect you're closer to the right angle.
Thx, Rick

Another dumb question. I'm not to the point yet that I need to attach the wings but I am very close. The wing dihedral do you have to set that or can you just put the quick build wings on and put in the bolts or do you have to drill to make your wing get the 3.5 degree angle.
I haven't looked ahead to the plans but what's the norm on this. Thanks

They just bolt on - no adjustment for dihedral.
I do not know what it is, but to measure just put a digital level along the spar, both sides, and average the answers.

Ok, with digital level, 3.3 and 3.9 degrees, left and right, so say 3.6 give or take some. Must need a little air in a tire.

Last edited:
Well first, of course, you have to get the aircraft level laterally.......

According to VANS, the actual number isn't important - it's that the 2 wings are the same (or close).

Back