What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing cradle template

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I have ordered a quick build kit and want to have a cradle for the wings built before they get here. I saw in the plans that we are to use a rib as a template for building the cradle. Since I don't have one, I wonder if there is any other template to use to cut the u in the supports?

Any other hints about having shop ready for delivery of kit? I have completed the empennage already with the help of Alexander's in Griffin, GA

Just getting started and lost,
Cleve

I know that VAN's offers a plan for a wing cradle, but I prefer one that uses carpet pieces to make a sling to hold the wings. They conform to the wing and create a nice soft cradle for the wings. I gave mine away, but seems there was a post a couple of weeks ago with a link to pictures.

I used the QB Wing to make a template for the cradle. Best thing I did was to put the cradle on wheels, [not my idea but it worked great]. I'm working in tight space and having the wings and the fuse on wheels has been a great help. There are a many examples of wing cradles on several builders web sites.
Bill

Cleve:

Here's a cheap, easy solution. I used the wing box itself as the cradle. I simply cut the ends off down to the spar support and took the front off to the same height. You can add castors to the box if you need it moveable. Mine has been in the same location since day one. It only takes 5 minutes to get to the back wing and that is something I only did once, when changing wings on the work bench.

Of course, this assumes yours arrives with the crate.

Jekyll

Wing Cradle

Thank you all for your great advice. As suggested, I looked up an old thread and found a reference to an old article in the EAA Sport Plane mag. by Tony Bengelis with plans and drawings for a cradle using rug strips instead of a cut out from ply wood.

I am now on my way to Lowe's for material for this cradle plus material for a couple of work benches. If this doesn't turn out well, I will use the crate as Jekyll suggested. That would certainly be easier.

Thank you all,
Cleve

Wing Cradle

Thank you all for your great advice. As suggested, I looked up an old thread and found a reference to an old article in the EAA Sport Plane mag. by Tony Bengelis with plans and drawings for a cradle using rug strips instead of a cut out from ply wood.

I am now on my way to Lowe's for material for this cradle plus material for a couple of work benches. If this doesn't turn out well, I will use the crate as Jekyll suggested. That would certainly be easier.

Thank you all,
Cleve

I built a wing stand for my 10. It uses carpet and must have originated from the EAA plans. Here is link to how I put my stands together http://lrosen.nerv10.com/Construct/WingStand/index.html

WingStand-001.JPG
P7120024.JPG

cleve_thompson said:

Just so the next guy to come along will have an easier time...here's the Tony Bingelis article

And here are the plans:
sa_12_87_fig1.jpg

Hope this helps!

Cleve,

I live in Alpharetta, but I am originally from Thomaston, about 30 miles south of Griffen. I was thinking about taking the Alexander class. Can you give me your thoughts on it? Thanks in advance...

Alexander's course is great

I really felt like the course up in Griffin was great and Jacob and Mike, the instructors, were knowlegable, helpful, and great to work with. The days were very long however. I was worn out when I finished. It did take me 8 days to finish the project and I wish that I had had 2 weeks. Now that I have my quickbuild kit, I see how much I still don't know. I am having a fit with the riveting etc.

I would recommend the course without reservation but be prepared to work very hard. Of course, I am 67 years old and not as energetic as I once was so you may not feel as tired as I did.

BTW, the Tony Bengalis wing stand works great. I did use some outdoor carpet to make the slings and I wished that I had used heavier grade. The outdoor carpet stretches and needs taking up periodically.

Cleve

Back