What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing construction

MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
I am about to rivet my first spar/ rib assembly. Main ribs are primed and ready. The instructions don't mention but it seems it would be better to match drill the nose ribs and counter sink the front spar in the appropriate spots first. It seems like at minimum the skin/spar/rib counter sunk rivets should be counter sunk at the spar. I also think the ribs get flush riveted to the spar only under the tank.
Any suggestions on work that should/ could be done before the rib rivet?

I didn't

I followed the instructions at this point and riveted the main ribs to the spars. After fitting the tank and leading edges, it all gets plumbed to ensure no twist, then match drilled and countersunk.

Be sure to keep left and right wings separate since I see you are building them simultaneously.

Good luck!

There is plenty room to work for those parts after they have been riveted to the main spar, and plenty of opportunity to introduce warp into the mix as well. This early in the build process, it's best to follow the directions pretty closely. Later on there is more wiggle room as you gain confidence and skills.

Thanks for the replies. I built both L & R spars before starting the assembly but I plan on doing just one wing at a time.
At this point I will stick with the plans. Just seems like there is some spar counter sinking that would go better now. Maybe after I finish the Left wing I will know a better way for the Right.

Back