What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Conduit Runs RF interference etc.

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey guys.
I'll be starting my wings very soon and trying to think ahead about my game plan. I'm wondering if it's worth it to run 2 separate conduits in each wing. One for RF & one for power / electrical. I'm not planning on running a ton of power out to the tips as I'm going to use the Aveo LEDs and the only other thing I can think of having power out there is the heated pitot. I may put a arched nav antenna out there but I'm not yet sold on that one. Maybe a comm antenna too. Maybe I'm just having a brain fart but what else would I run out there? I know some guys run one conduit for electrical and adel clamp other wire runs in the lightening holes. I'd like to run two conduits to keep Electrical & RF separate... But is worth it?

Thanks

Hey guys.
I'll be starting my wings very soon and trying to think ahead about my game plan. I'm wondering if it's worth it to run 2 separate conduits in each wing. One for RF & one for power / electrical. I'm not planning on running a ton of power out to the tips as I'm going to use the Aveo LEDs and the only other thing I can think of having power out there is the heated pitot. I may put a arched nav antenna out there but I'm not yet sold on that one. Maybe a comm antenna too. Maybe I'm just having a brain fart but what else would I run out there? I know some guys run one conduit for electrical and adel clamp other wire runs in the lightening holes. I'd like to run two conduits to keep Electrical & RF separate... But is worth it?

Thanks

I ran one conduit for "quiet" electrical (nav antenna, continuous power items, and servo/fuel wires) and ran the "noisy" electrical items (pitot heat controller, HID power, strobes) separately in drilled holes with bushings to keep the RFI away from potential pickup points.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it was the right thing to do because I wasn't smart enough to ask first...

I ran 1 conduit in each wing and in each wingtip I placed an "Advanced Aircraft Electronics" antenna (yes, the one that says not for Aluminum aircraft). 1 for Comm2 and 1 for the Nav. Both work very well, but of course not as well as a belly mounted regular comm antenna. But I'm happy with it.

I also ran the pitot heat wire in the conduit with the landing light, nav light and strobe light wires.

I have AeroLeds (LDG,NAV & STRB) and after I installed them they came out with the recommendation of a shielded wire.

I had noise when I first flew, then changed out to shielded and the noise went away.

Good luck with what you decide.

Im about half done with wings and had exact question when I was pre-planning. I never could get conclusive answers on specifically how to avoid interference by proper locating of the wires in the wings. Therefore will be putting the coms on the belly and the Nav/GS on the tail. I ran one conduit in each wing and also enlarged tooling hole for grommet. Wingtip items (lights) will be ran through the conduit, Midwing items will be ran through the grommet. Devices to recieve wiring are as follows:

Left Wing:
Aeroled
Duckworks Landing Light
Stall Warner (came with wing kit)
Pitot Heat & pitot Tube

Right Wing:
Aeroled
Duckworks Landing Light
Autopilot Servo

I put two corrugated conduits in each wing. A lot easier to do at your stage. I called Vans to inquire if it was an okay thing to do and was told the engineering has not been done on it but, I don’t think it will fall out of the sky. I will be sure to let you know if it does! :D

Back