What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Closeout gap

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Just finished clecoing the lower wing tip closeout panels (W 1204-d) to the wing tips. There's a triangular gap about 1/4 inch high where the front og the closeout panel meets the outboard wing skin that's wrapped around the leading edge (Photo attached, I hope). Is this normal or did I do something wrong?
Seems like a high pressure atea with any angle of attack that would pressurize (balloon??) the tip.

Thanks guys

Wayne 1
TipGap.jpg

Plain Jane wingtips

Looks just like mine, Wayne. Some details on this plane are rather plain, but I love it anyway.

Tony

It's normal. It seems a strip of some light material could be fabricated to cover the edge of the wing tips and ends of the stab. After certification of course.

Art Pennanen

Fix #2

Ok, Thanks guys. It's good to know I didn't mess something up. Fix one (after getting the pink slip) is a stabilator tip like Larry's-- alrrady had the template made when I saw his. Fix 2 is the wingtips-- perhaps just fiberglassing them or maybe just a thck, sandable filler-- but that gap has gotta go!

Wayne

The triangular gap is normal but the first tab on your picture will need a bend of 116 degrees (yours about 90) which gives a much nicer fit. When there is more news about the nav lights kit I'll also most probably fiberglassing the tips.

Holes galore

I, too, am looking for inspiration for a way to fix the multitude of holes on the close-out area.

One thing that worries me is the plane is full of holes that will let water into the structure, but there don't appear to be any drain holes at the low points to let water out. I don't want to be tankering a wing/tail full of water.

Cheers...Keith

Ok, Thanks guys. It's good to know I didn't mess something up. Fix one (after getting the pink slip) is a stabilator tip like Larry's-- alrrady had the template made when I saw his. Fix 2 is the wingtips-- perhaps just fiberglassing them or maybe just a thck, sandable filler-- but that gap has gotta go!

Wayne

Exactly right. I'm working on a few ideas right now. Watch under Modifications Thread.

Drain holes

I've noticed the lack of them, too. My yankee has several in strategic locations. This may be fix #3-- low point in the fuselage, inboard wing panels fore and aft of the spar, and a few places in the stab.

Wayne

Back