What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing build sequence

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
We have a new house in the making, and I am faced with selling, renting then the final move into the new home. Building an elabroate wing jig is going to have to be put on hold for the time being. I thought I would float the idea of building the tanks in the mean time. Currently I am about to finish prepping all the ribs, with both spars finished.

For ease of storage and the least possible damage to the spars, I am going to wait on riveting the spars and main ribs. Any and all thoughts???

Thanks

Slotting Baffle

Mark,

I'm working on the tanks now. There is a step when you have to fit the temporarily assembled tank to the spar and to the skin of the leading edge. If the skins of the leading edge and tank don't butt together tightly, you have to slot the tank baffle to make the skins tight. I had to. Not sure if you could do that after the tanks are complete. Just something to look at.

rolling wing stand

I have seen a rolling wing stand. Had upright posts and a center rail at the bottom and top holding the unit square. Feet extended out about four feet perpendicular to the width of the unit and had removable wheels.

I don't have picures, but others here are certain to have done the same. My wife was understanding and I had free run of the garage-- different situation entirely, I understand.

I had my wings in and out of a building stand and into the cradle in 3 months if I remember correctly.

How much time do you have?

market the property, get offers, ask for a 45- 60 day close, ask for a rent-back at market value... you may not need to move, rent, move, and then set up. I'd say if you play it right you could sell, stay, rent, finish the wings, and then move.

What do you have to lose?

Last edited:
See post number 4 in the thread linked below

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=49501&highlight=rolling+wing

direct to the image

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/859/img0959td.jpg

I might add a top rail to keep the fixture square, but some may argue that the spars to the same job after they're clamped to the fixture-- I'd just prefer not to put all of that stress on the outboard rib.

Hope this helps

Bill,

Great post. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Back