What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Box Stiffeners page 13-2

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
I've discovered all 4 of my long stiffeners are not quite bent correctly at one end and don't allow the shorter stiffeners to nest properly. it's causing the shorter stiffener to sit 1/8" higher, and it's already supposed to be 1/16" above the spar flange.

The other ends are fine, so I can get a good (flush) overlap for the right-lower and left-upper. But the other two pairs I have the problem.

I just sent an email to Van's, but it's still early on the west coast.

Other than ordering new stiffeners, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Jeff

20140801-100933--DSC_9756-M.jpg

20140801-100840--DSC_9754-M.jpg

20140801-100806--DSC_9753-M.jpg

You don't need new j-channel. Just get them as tight as you can so the 1/16th above the spar is achieved for the majority of the channel --they don't have to nest perfectly. All you are doing right now is using the the spar as a drill guide and the 1/16th measurement puts the resulting holes you drill in the center of the channel's flange.

That is not the final position

Don't worry, you are only using the spars as a template for match drilling. The J-stiffiners will be riveted to the wing skins. Just press them together as tight as you can and match drill.

This is what I just received from Van's:

Jeff, Probably best to get you new J-stiffeners. Take a look at all your stiffeners and get us a Part No. and count. We'll replace them for you.

Back