What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing bolts not fitting tight with the spacers

jtrollin

Well Known Member
I put the wing bolts in today so while attaching the center and forward fuselage for the first time. I got all the bolts in with out to much effort but it is almost like the bolts are to long or the spacers to thin. Even with the washers in place I can not tighten the bolts down as they hit the non-threaded part of the bolt.

IMG_8667.jpg

You can see the non-threaded bolt that is still exposed once the washer is on.

IMG_8668.jpg

The small bolts have the same problem, nothing ever tightens up.

Should I be concerned here, or is this normal with the spacers, but the wings will fix it?

thanks,

I used 3 washer on my 8, one on the head side, two on the nut side. the wings are still tight to the fuselage after some loops and rolls :D

do not bottom out the nut

the tri-gear 7 model has a gear mount plate on the top that takes up most of the space and one washer will work, for a tail dragger, the gear is mounted from the engine mount and you will need 3 washers; on the bottom bolts there is a bolted gusset plate that takes up the space, also on the bottom there are washers on the head. it all works out fine, just make sure that you do not bottom out the nut when you get to that point.

Last edited:
By Plans

That's quite a while back, but I followed the plans. I could check to see what I had on (number washers and spacers) but I just pulled them for first wing attach. I'd double check that the number and type of spacers are correct per the plans, then use the necessary number of washers to get the grip inside washers and not bottoming on the nut.

Back