What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Bolts - Final fitting

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
We are about to put on the wings as we are busy with the final assembly. Van's manual calls for LPS #1,2,3 or just motor oil on the bolts. Someone now told me that we SHOULD actually use something special (forgot the name) on the bolts in order to make sure that we do not get corrosion because of the two metals. Can someone please tell me more about this and why does Van's manual does not call for it if it is so important. Thanks.

Something in addition

I don't know about lubricant, but Consider using dry ice to shrink the bolts before installation. Also, it it is an A model, don't drive the bolts all the way in until you fit the washers and nuts on the lower ones.

Wing Bolts

When I helped my son Steve (whose 7A flew for the first time yesterday - see Van's website :) attach his wings, we didn't need to do anything special to the bolts - they tapped right in. To get the lower nuts on, we superglued the nuts to a popsicle stick and used a pneumatic wrench to turn the bolts. We also had a ground-down open end wrench, borrowed from another 7A builder.

Janekom said:
We are about to put on the wings as we are busy with the final assembly. Van's manual calls for LPS #1,2,3 or just motor oil on the bolts. Someone now told me that we SHOULD actually use something special (forgot the name) on the bolts in order to make sure that we do not get corrosion because of the two metals. Can someone please tell me more about this and why does Van's manual does not call for it if it is so important. Thanks.
I don't think it is important. If galvanic corrosion was a big deal, then you'd need to completely insulate the bolt from the spar. No spray coating (I'm aware of) would do that. No worries about the difference in materials.

Just follow Van's instructions on lubricants on the bolt shanks and on the threads (if any - can't remember). Also, torque the nut and not the bolt head if at all possible.

Keep your threads dry.

Low Pass said:
Just follow Van's instructions on lubricants on the bolt shanks and on the threads (if any - can't remember). Also, torque the nut and not the bolt head if at all possible.

Don't lube the threads! You can't torque correctly if you do.

Kent

Can't torque bottom on -A anyhow

You cannot torque the bottom bolts on the -A model anyhow. Van's said just make them tight - the strain is all in shear. You have to turn the bottom ones from the head of the bolt.

Back