What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Bolt Removal and reuse?

miyu1975

Well Known Member
I recently installed my wings and put all the wing bolts in, although I have not put the nuts fully on yet. Today I realized I will have to remove the wings because I forgot to install the platenuts that go between the inside of the wings and the fuselage..:mad: One of my friends mentioned he thought that once the wing bolts have been installed they cannot be reused. This true?

Probably a good idea to replace them if you have torqued them but it should not be a problem otherwise. Remove them carefully (rivet gun turned low works well to tap them gently out) and inspect for marring. The alodine may get scrubbed, but you can reinstall wet with primer to restore the corrosion protection.

As long as they are not really scarred up, they are fine for re-use.

Even if they've been torqued. They are not "stretch" bolts. These bolts are in "shear".

I have not torqued the nuts, only finger tightened. I will remove them and check for scars, I suspect they'll be ok.

Use an air ratchet. They will come right out, no problem. As a matter of fact, it is worth buying an air ratchet if you do not have one.

Ryan - do you know off hand which print shows these nutplates? I'm hoping to mount my wings for the last time in the next couple of months and don't want to have to take them off for a few nut plates....

Thanks,
Jason

I don't have the plans in front of me, but you are looking for the drawings that show the interior on section of the wing that will be right next to the fuselage...the bottom of the wing overlaps the lip of the fuselage (bout 9 or 10 nutplates needed here) and the top of the wing will need nutplates too, for a piece of aluminum that will attached and cover the gap.

Back