What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Attachment

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Howdy to All,

Today was a BIG DAY. Wings installed bolted and torqued. Well almost. The right wing rear spar attachment to the fuselage is bolted with a AN6-11 bolt, castle nut and cotter key.

That hole does not line up. It is .065 off. Seems like a lot to me. I can push on the front of the wing and make it line up, but it seems like that would not be good. I just seems to me that there would be an undo stress put on that bolt, and the wing itself.

I followed the instructions for drilling that hole that Vans recommended. It included using 2 temporary 3/8" bolts on the main spar, clecoing and clamping the rear spar to the portion that comes out of the fuselage, then drilling it in multiple steps.

Why did this happen? I can only guess. Using temp bolts on the main spar does allow for some movement. Then when re-installing the wing with close tolerance bolts it allow the rear spar to be in a different position. Maybe, but just a guess.

Solutions: Spoke to Vans yesterday and his solution was to just push it into place and be done...He also said do not drill it out to 7/16". Mind you there is 1/2" of material around the existing bolt...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks to All

Thanks,
I will follow the "motherships" advice...But I am curious, just how many others have had this problem.....

Back