What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Assembly

Fast_012

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I'm headed to go check out what may be a good deal on an RV-6. One question I have relates to the wing jig.

From what I understand the center ribs have been riveted to the main and rear spar. But the skin is only cleco'd. Would that impart enough rigidity to keep everything straight thru a couple moves?

Also, for transportation I think I found the main spar is 109.5". Anybody able to tell me the width (cord) between the main and rear spar?

This seems to be a late model RV-6 (late 90's?) with pre-punched skin.

I've done some owner assisted maintenance on my certified a/c including new baffles and such, but have not built yet. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Robert and welcome to the good ship VAF.

Holy cow I am the first to say Welcome to VAF. I see this was your first post. Can't believe I beat Mike. :D

In my opinion it would depend on how many cleco's are holding it all together. But if not rigid enough you could brace it with wood 2x2's.

Just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in with help to answer all your questions.

Last edited:
Rob,
welcome.gif
to VAF.

Is this the project in Sutter Creek CA???

Gary, you may have beaten me, but I have the cool "welcome" smilie :D

Thanks guys!

No this is near Paducah, KY. I'm just leaving now to try and get as far as STL with the rental van. Kinda nervous, kinda excited. I've been getting the typical responses I supposed most of you got when you told non-aviation types you were building a plane..."and you're going to fly in it yourself!?!" :) I just tell them it's kind of like Gibbs on NCIS building his boat.

Gary, I see you're not too far from where my cousin grew up. I remember canoeing in what I think was the Ft Meyers bay where there was an island made of shells the native's threw out. But that was a long time ago!

Thanks and any opinions/suggestions will be appreciated.

Don't worry too much about keeping everything alligned. You will have to build a fixture and re-jig the wing anyway. Don't count on the clecos keeping everything square. Just make sure all the parts are accounted for. Especially the center section and splice plates. The distance between the main and rear spars is set by the ribs. As long as the ribs aren't modified then it should be fine.

Thanks Colin,

I got home late Monday night after getting it. It was quite an adventure. This month will be inventorying everything, organizing, and practicing riveting. The nice thing is the plant is shut down between Christmas and New Year's so I'll have more time to get going.

Rob

Back