What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Access Panel Rivet Pattern

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I am at the point of drilling the access panel doubler to the skin and the rivet / nutplate patterns on the plans are questionable. The plans show no rivets going through the bit of angle attached to the rib, they also have a nutplate butted right up against that angle which would not work at all.

Here is a picture of a first - draft of my planned pattern (ignore the scribbles).

FP27092009A00066.jpg

What have other folks done here? I assume that there should be a rivet going through the skin, doubler, and the angle - am I wrong. If anyone has a picture that would be very helpful. A picture from the inside with the bellcrank-rib brace (can't remember the PN) would be very helpful also, since that is next on the list (before I finalize this layout).

By the way: If you are using kitlogPro, you can direct-link images from your build-log to your posts...

Last edited:
"building" time

The plans don't work exactly for this -use the rivet spacing for the doubler specified in the plans (1") and just place them where they will work. The rivets just hold the doubler on, so location is not critical. I did place a rivet going through the skin, doubler and angle - for this particular rivet, dimple the skin and doubler, and countersink the angle, and leave this rivet hole open for now, to be installed when the skin is riveted on. Since this rivet goes through the angle, which is fixed to the structure, and not just the skin and doubler like the others, you can't put the rivet in until it is time to permanently attach the skin. Alternatively, you could just space the rivets to avoid the angle -an easier solution.
For the platenuts, you will see the plans show a total of 13, with 5 along the spar flange. One of these 5 platenuts is shown centered on the rib, which sa you say won't work (unless you use a one legged platenut). I just used 4 along the spar instead of 5, spaced evenly, and avoiding the rib - I think 4 evenly spaced is plenty.
I found that edge distance of the dimpled screw holes in the access plate edge was barely adequate using the 3/8" width specified for the doubler overhang past the wing skin - I made the overhang a bit wider, so that the platenuts could be located slightly farther in - check that you have enough edge distance for the dimpled cover holes before you finalize and rivet the doubler on.
There are a few places on the 6 where you will have to, as Van's likes to say, "make it fit". This is one of them.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Bill,

Thanks for the help! I wasn't sure if I was going the right direction or making a mistake. I think I will take your suggestion on increasing the edge distance and re-make the doubler.

-Colin

Just like Bill said, you have to place them where it will work. I looked at mine tonight and remembered I adjusted the spacing to put the rib right between two nutplates. If you look closely, you can see that the pattern isn't exactly symmetrical, but anyone who bothers to crawl under my plane, notice it, then comment about it will be kicked then ignored. :D

Just like Bill said, you have to place them where it will work. I looked at mine tonight and remembered I adjusted the spacing to put the rib right between two nutplates. If you look closely, you can see that the pattern isn't exactly symmetrical, but anyone who bothers to crawl under my plane, notice it, then comment about it will be kicked then ignored. :D

I like your thinking! I went ahead and increased the size of my cutout to allow for a 1/2" flange for the nutplates rather than 3/8" as specified (per another suggestion). I also drilled the doubler to the skin. I have a big order on the way from Vans that includes the nutplates I need. For now, it is on to the inboard skin while I wait... Thanks for your help.

Back