What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

windshield installation

jay.pearlman

Well Known Member
I would guess this question has been answered before, but I have not found the response.
I am installing the windshield on an RV6A. On the 6A, there is a notch in the cover over the front top sheet metal near the windshield roll bar that the plexiglass goes through. On the RV7, there is no notch. What was the reason for putting the notch in the 6? Should I do it another way?

I would guess this question has been answered before, but I have not found the response.
I am installing the windshield on an RV6A. On the 6A, there is a notch in the cover over the front top sheet metal near the windshield roll bar that the plexiglass goes through. On the RV7, there is no notch. What was the reason for putting the notch in the 6? Should I do it another way?

I put a notch in mine and it worked out fine. Just seemed easier to get everything to fit up.

Plexiglass passes through the notch. This allows the front side to start the curve of the glareshield, while the backside stays vertical to match the triangular rollbar plate. Mine has two bolts through the windscreen & vertical section.

L.Adamson -- 6

IMG-30.jpg

IMG_0001-15.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

WoodBransonrkt100050.jpg

The RV-6A is built very stout and in this case the windshield is being integrated into the fuselage structure at the most vulnerable point I built ours as shown above and felt the it went very well and it has held up perfectly for the 8 years I have been flying it.

Bob Axsom

To notch or not to notch....

As stated by others above, that is how the rv6's were designed. The newer models did not include the notch. I built my -6 with the notch, but I have seen several built without it, like the -7s. I think it looks better to not cut the notch and keep the canopy windscreen totally outside the skin. It's easier to address the interior skin edge for looks as opposed to the plexiglass edge. Also, when doing the fiberglass, you need to remember to tape up the interior edge or resin can drip into the cockpit, if you use the notch method.
Obviously, it is structurally sound to do away with the notch, since the -7s, -8s and -9s are all built that way. Strictly my opinion, though.

moving forward

My plans (late ones for the RV6) do not show the notch. Does anyone have the location and the dimensions of the slot?

Back