What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield Installation

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I just installed my windshield per the plans, I don't feel great about the adhesive bonding design around the canopy. Has anyone glassed in the entire windshield similar to how you do the RV8 windshield.

Pat

Windshield Install

Thanks for the help. The last note I see after the instructions for glassing in the lower portion of the windshield says to look at the 5T fiberglass drawing which is not in my package. I have completed the step which fills the gap between the the canopy and widshield with microballon however I am still concerned about the strenght. What am I missing.

Thanks,

Pat

Section 5T

Section 5T is part of your builders manual.
It is a red binder of letter sized general instructions.
I am sure you have it.
As to your windshield, no worries mate, proceed.
As explained in an earlier post I glassed in all the windows.
I followed the plans including the aluminum clips which are suggested as an added measure of srength. These will create a bump in the lay up so you have to fill the gaps and smooth them out before laying up glass.
The clips are visible in the first pic.
Hope this helps.

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

Thanks for the feedback guys on both the windshield and the back windows. This weekend I will be glassing in the windshield and back windows. I plan on following the plans for the lower windshield fairing plus adding at least one layer of glass tape around the entire windshield. I also plan at least one layer of tape around the aft windows that will also hide the bonded window flange and provide a good base for paint so that it does not crack.

thanks for the feedback.

Pat

Back