What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield install question

bob888

Well Known Member
When I installed the side windows, I glassed over the joint between the plexi and the cabin top fiberglass with a thin layer of fiberglass. I wonder if this is a good idea for the top edge of the windshield. I think I saw a post saying that flying in the rain had peeled it back off the windshield. Anyone have thoughts or experience on this point?

I put a couple layers over the top of it myself and also down the sides. I haven't flown the plane yet as I am not quite done but I did it last winter and it turned out great. it is a big milestone when you have all the glass in and the whole top fiber glassed along with the doors done. Keep at it and good luck

I only used a couple layers of very light weight material over the seam to prevent cracking but it was not heavy enough as it still cracked on our first high (cold) flight. If I were to do it again I would go with a thicker layup.

I put two layers of glass over all the window joints. Three years later, I've got no cracks or crazing.

I think it's all about surface preparation. I did use sandpaper to scuff the window area under the fiberglass.

Windshield installation question

Agree with Bob on the importance of surface prep of the plexi. The RV-14 windshield install video covers this in detail and is well worth a look before starting the job. I used West Systems Gflex epoxy as it's claimed to have better adhesion to acrylic than the usual 105 resin. It is more viscous though, something like honey, so wetting out lighter weight cloth takes some care.

Agree with Bob on the importance of surface prep of the plexi. The RV-14 windshield install video covers this in detail and is well worth a look before starting the job. I used West Systems Gflex epoxy as it's claimed to have better adhesion to acrylic than the usual 105 resin. It is more viscous though, something like honey, so wetting out lighter weight cloth takes some care.

Google turns up nothing. Link?

Same as Bob

I added 2 layers of lightweight glass just like Bob.
The edge on the windshield was formed with a 4mil electrical tape and the 2 layers amounted to just about that plus a bit for filler.
Nearing 400 hours and flying in some very heavy rain, no peeling, cracking or crazing. Used West System 105 resin and the usual prepping.
The fiberglass weave is starting to show a bit in places where very little filler was used.

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Back