What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield de-fogging for tip-up canopy

If you think you need one, mount a computer fan in the center of the glare shied.

Do a searh on "fan", this has come up before.

It might be a bit hard on the tipup, since the stiffening braces are in the way of just putting a simple fan on the inside. Putting a really small fan aft of the stiffeners is a possibility, but they may not be sufficiently powerful to do any real good for defrosting/defogging. There is not a lot of space between the stiffeners and the panel, and at that location you are back a ways from the leading edge of the canopy bubble.

IMG2706-M.jpg

After you start the engine, wouldn't there be sufficient airflow from the prop to defog?

A few strategically placed holes in the aluminum part of the tipup should allow warm air from the heater to migrate up. This won't actively defrost a windshield, but will help keep frost from starting.

Greg

How about one of the 12v portable car defroster? I used one to pre-heat my windshiled when my car wasn't parked in our garage and it wasn't great, but worked OK. http://www.amazon.com/CERAMIC-HEATER-Defroster-SUPEREX-21-144U/dp/B005GRQ47K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_11
It takes 15amps, so maybe more than you want or have available. I would think the panel heat would do a pretty good job of keeping things warm - if you didn't have to worry about even more water getting in when you opened the canopy.

Back