What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen

maca2790

Hi all,
In the never ending saga of Primer wars and whether to Weld-on or not Weld-on!
Has anyone some photos of how they finished their windscreen using Sikkaflex 295UV ?
Anyone in OZ bought Weld-on locally?

cheers

John MacCallum

I used the Sika 295 for all windows in my 10. The issue with Sika is that it will expand and contract with heat. I used a single 6 ounce wrap of glass over all the seams. It only took 6 months for cracks in the paint to appear around the tight bend radius areas around the front of the rear windows. On extremely hot days I can see the seams on the door windows. The windscreen shows no signs of this issue, most likely due to the large number of lay ups used and the 2 layers of fg cloth around the top and sides.
If I were to do it again I would not use the Sika product. Lord makes an adhesive that most are using that seems to work better than the weld on product. Aerosport sells this product. Just look at the factory plane glass and you will understand why I would not use the weld on.

Windows

I used the Lord adhesive on all of my windows and the overhead console.

The airplane has not flown yet so I can't tell you much other than it was easy to use. If cost is an indication of how well it should work it is never coming apart!!

I bought the adhesive from Aerosport Products.

Thanks Tom:)

Hi Tom

AJ I wish I found your site years ago. It is one of the best I have ever seen.
Outstanding step by step guide to installing the canopy.

Wow thanks mate! Appreciate it. :D

Windscreens

Weld On was impossible for me to find in OZ and simply to hard to import because of the dangerous goods freight. After research I used West Systems G/Flex, was a good product to use, I put a couple of fine glass layers over the outside joins to carry the paint and hopefully head off paint cracks later. Cheers from Western Australia.

I used Lord Adhesive as well with glass over the joints. Fifteen months since painting and no cracking yet.

bob

I do remember seeing a web page of a European builder a few years ago, where he used the Sikaflex as a Gap filler after he glued the windows in to form a 1/4 inch border around all the windows. Much the same way that cars sometimes have their windows installed. It looked real good and this was what I was trying to find again. It took care of the Expansion and contraction by allowing the Windscreen and Windows to move without cracking the paint.
Thanks everyone, I will checkout the Lord and West Coast Systems avenue as well.
John MacCallum

Back