What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen on slider

Larry Ocker

Since I will be starting to fasten the wind screen to fuselage soon. Does any one have a good idea on how to color the fiberglass and epoxy black so I will not see the backside of the fiberglass when I look through the wind screen?
Thanks,

The pigment from Aircraft Spruce worked very well BUT make sure you paint the side of your aluminum clips black that at go against the windscreen. I forgot to do that and you can see the alum of the clips.

Peter K
9A-75 hrs

dye

West Marine sells various colors of dye suitable for use in resins. If used in the correct ratio, the back of your lay-up will look like carbon fiber.

Carry on!
Mark

It's a non-issue

The area looks very natural to me on my RV-6A. I painted the fwd fuse top skin inside the windshield line, flat black but made no attempt to hide the existence of the fiberglass closure fairing at the base or over the roll bar. The important thing here is the long term integrity of the installation. Pigment in the resin as recomended by Mark Frederick is OK but trying to paint in this very tight fitting work area has it's own set of appearance risks.

Bob Axsom

Pigment in the resin as recomended by Mark Frederick is OK but trying to paint in this very tight fitting work area has it's own set of appearance risks.

I wouldn't try to paint with it installed either. I just figured the height of the fiberglass line, then taped a line on the inside of the windscreen; covered the rest with paper & shot the primer/flat black with the windscreen sitting on the work bench. It's been three years, and still there.

I tried the pigments elsewhere, but the flat black does a nice clean job of it.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I can offer this much cheaper thought. I went to Lowe's airplane supply (and hardware store) asked for some black pigment from theyre paint mixing station. The guy put about 1 inch in a foam coffee cup then taped the top. Said good luck and didn' t charge me anything. I used it. Perfecto!!!!:D

Back