What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen Fiberglass

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello - At one time I came across a great tutorial on the fiberglass at the base of the windscreen on the web. Of course now that I am there, I can't find it.

Any help finding it would be appreciated.

Thanks Matthew

That is a good one, but the one I am thinking of was all about the base of the windscreen.

Been anywhere fun in the -9A lately?

Hey Pete.

I glassed my canopy as well, but last week I saw an excellent installation using aluminum. It was very impressive.

The fellow described how he used custom-made spacers/standoffs under the aluminum to support the strips. It struck me that some kind of 'mixed' approach would work well.... bed the windshield in place with a flox-mixture, then cover everything with aluminum strips attached with screws that are threaded into the flox.

I don't have any photos, but the final install looked very good, and I'd consider it for my next plane (don't tell my wife). I don't think the canopy to windscreen seal would be as good as a fully glassed method, but it would be lighter.

Based on where you are in the project, you are getting close to completion. This fall?

Vern

Back