What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen cracked, need help on sliding canopy

seattleworm

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The past weekend was not good for my build. I cracked the canopy while trying to reposition before I finished a cut. So, lesson learned, never more canopy before finishing a cut, or the crack will start right at the unfinished cut.

I was so mad at this (mainly myself), but now I kind of cooled down. I am here for some help.

1) The crack on the windscreen (yes, I made the big cut) is about 5" long, right in front of the pilot so I guess I won't be able to live with it. Does anyone have a damaged canopy that the front portion is still useable?

2) After calming down, I continued working on the sliding portion of the canopy. I drilled canopy to the frame, and all went well (so far). After fitting the canopy with frame to fuselage, I found the sliding motion is not free, actually pretty tight. After some measurement, I found the canopy expanded the frame almost 1", instead of the 1/2" as commonly mentioned. Vans instruction says to re-adjust the frame. I am now very "crack sensitive". Will this much adjustment crack the canopy? I plan to adjust the frame, and countersink and enlarge the holes on canopy before fitting them together again, thinking the enlarged hole should prevent much stress around it. But I would get some opinions. I don't want to re-do the cutting, trimming, drilling again (even buying a new canopy is not that heart breaking for me after the cracked windscreen).

A couple of guys on here have mentioned in the past calling the vendor that makes the canopies for Vans, and they'll ship just the windscreen.

Call Vans for their info.

Thanks for the info. I just called Vans, windscreen costs $425 plus shipping, which is not as bad as I thought. I was thinking $1000 more for the whole canopy.

Sory to hear about the crack, I am working on mine right now also, I would look at the holes after you bend the frame back in, I would think you may need to elongate the holes in the canopy?

You can buy just the windshield from the guy that makes Vans canopies. He's here in Ohio, and a fellow River Rat bought one - a little thicker at 1/4" - after he took a bird throught his windshield on his RV8. Give them a call: Airplane Plastics, Tipp City, OH. (937)669-2677.

Thanks, Bret and Scott. I talked with Becky of Airplane Plastics, they offer windscreen only, but has to be ordered through Vans. Vans price is $425 w/o shipping. The windscreen will be thicker as Scott mentioned. Isn't thicker plexi easier to crack? I guess I will need to be very careful. Good thing is we will see more hot days in Seattle.

I also called Vans builder support regarding re-shaping the frame after drilling canopy to the frame. They said it should be fine as long as the frame is not re-adjusted with canopy on. Enlarging the hole on canopy before refitting it to the re-shaped frame will help. So, I will proceed. I probably will leave the hole size on the frame as #40 when refitting the canopy, hoping that if the relative position changed, there will be slight room to adjust the hole on the frame when drilling it to #30.

I also called Vans builder support regarding re-shaping the frame after drilling canopy to the frame. They said it should be fine as long as the frame is not re-adjusted with canopy on. Enlarging the hole on canopy before refitting it to the re-shaped frame will help. So, I will proceed. I probably will leave the hole size on the frame as #40 when refitting the canopy, hoping that if the relative position changed, there will be slight room to adjust the hole on the frame when drilling it to #30.
Hi Shawn-
Sorry to hear about your frustration. Silver lining to your story--you'll be glad to have the thicker windscreen.

Much simpler solution than trying to match plexi holes on the frame (or rollbar): just abandon your existing holes and drill some new holes in between the now-mismatched holes. They'll all be covered either by fairings or skirts anyway.

The windshield from Airplane Plastics is thicker because its not 'blown' like the canopy. It's heated and then pressed onto a mold so the thickness remains about the same as it was to start with unlike the whole canopy which is stetched as it is blown. It should have no more tendency to crack during construction than the original. You may have better bird protection too.

cracked w/screen

I have a couple extra windshields left over. Could sell you one $325 plus shipping. Too bad, I was in Seattle a week ago...

Airplane Plastics has what they call "seconds" that are the same thickness as the originals - it's a full canopy with a flaw in one half or the other where they can't sell the whole thing as a good complete canopy, but one half is still good. They are first-come, first-served but they usually have a couple on hand.

Thanks, Ralph! But I already put order with Vans a few days ago. Otherwise, I would buy from you to save some. Not sure about shipping from Canada to Seattle though.

Just a update on the situation. I re-adjust the frame, countersunk and enlarged the canopy holes, refitting canopy to the re-shaped frame is non-issue. All the holes lined up well, no cracks so far.

Back