What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Window paint cracking clarification

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if those who had the issue with paint cracking at the rear window to fuse joints had used epoxy/micro or superfill (or equivalent) at the joint?

Wondering if I really have to put a fiberglass layer over that joint or can get by with some epoxy filler over the same spot (including the 0.75" outside edge of the window). It seems like that would accomplish the same thing - getting an "equivalent" material over the gap and the weld-on in the gap.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

I put 2 layers of cloth over the windows on the 10 im doing at the moment. I have seen others build the window edges using only micro/flox and it is cracking.. Be sure to grind the window, and the cabin structure where you are laying up your glass work.. other wise it will eventually crack during vibration and heat/cooling cycles.. I noticed on this 10 the builders choice of window adhesive and prep was pretty sketchy.. The both cabin windows were trying to depart the cabin.. Id almost suggest riviting the windows to the cabin then filling the gaps and make a nice clean window edge.. Just my 2 cents

Back