What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wind tips warped

pilot7

I bought a quick build kit. I have heard you must be carefull storing the tips. Well, he was not carefull. I have a little warping along the edge that mates to the wing.
Any advise on correcting this or would it be best to buy a new tip.
Thanks
Doug
RV7 Slider QB

Is the flange warped, or is the trailing edge out of alignment (a common problem) or is the problem something else?

A picture would be helpful.

In the end, you can probably make the tip fit nicely if it is only slightly warped.

warped tip

Kyle,
It is the flange. The fiberglass is bowed in. When fit to the wing looks like it would take part of the warp out but not all of it. Maybe if I put some stifiners in it would come out..
Fortunately, only one tip is warped.
Thanks Kyle.
Doug

You could try reshaping it with a heat gun. I have gotten some errant bends out of fiberglass parts by heating up the area and gently reshaping. Be careful not to burn the fiberglass or your hands.

As Kyle mentioned, the trailing edge could also be out of alignment. This can be checked using the airfoil template provided in the plans. Cut out a cardboard airfoil using the plan sheet. Check the airfoil when the tip is attached to the wing with clecoes and prior to attaching the sub rib to the tip. If adjustment is necessary, the trailing edge can be slit, moved up or down, clamped and reglued, and then the rib installed. This is best done when fitting the wing to the fuselage, when you line up the flaps and ailerons. Then the tips can be adjusted to match the control surfaces.

Roberta

How should you store the wing tips ? I have my sitting on the floor in my basement office.

Doug

About to perform a fuel tank leak test.

Wing tips warped and how to store?

Thanks Roberta,
I will give that a try. I think what I will do is clamp a 1x4 board to it and with the clamps get it to the right shape then apply heat. Once cooled it should be ok.

Doug, I have heard the way to store would be to hang up by the trailing edge. Put a 16penny nail in the wall then shave the head off and let it hang. At least that is what I think I learned a couple of years ago.. Maybe others have better ways but for long time storage i think thats the best way but could be wrong..
Doug B

Cut yourself a rib out of strofoam and insert that into the wing tip. This will hold the required shape then try fitting it to the wing.

wing tip

Hanging the tips by the trailing edge for storage is a good idea. Norm has the right idea when you go to install the tips. Take styrofoam or the blue insulation foam from your builders supply, press it hard against the wing skin at the outboard end. Cut the foam out along the lines impressed into it by the wing airfoil shape, then insert the foam into the fiberglass tip. This will hold the shape while you match drill the holes for the tip attatchment.

Smaller ribs like this or false ribs, or even spar extensions of foam into the tip can help hold the shape as some have reported tip distortion in flight.

Mannan Thomason
RV-8 N161RL No. One Girl

Back