What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will this Marker Beacon work by itself?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
I picked up an RST Engineering Audio panel/marker beacon, and I have read the users manual, but I still cant answer my question, so maybe somebody here knows. Will the marker beacon work without being connected to the audio panel?

I want to connect the marker beacon light wires straight to my D100 marker beacon "receive" wires, provide power and ground to the unit, and connect the MB antenna. Will that work?

Is THIS PDF for your marker beacon? If so, it looks like it will work without the audio output connected.
But compatibility of the light output with other units is unknown.
(Ground is switched)

Safest thing would be to connect a 10K resistor to 12v on each MB light output pin.

The pins (5,6 & 7) would then become voltage inputs to the D-180 -
12v = off
0v = on

Audio appears to be available on Pin 4 of the MB, but that would have to be an aux. input to your existing audio system.

UPDATE

You may have this unit with the built-in lights.

If this is the case - check the RST part numbers on the box label - then the 10K resistors are not needed and the pin numbers give above change to 6, 7 & 8.

http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/support/RST-522_523.pdf

Last edited:
I think it will work, thank you both. I originally did not see the test procedure listed in the pdf that Gil sent. I will go out soon and try this. Now I gotta get out there and locate that marker beacon on the top of the building somewhere off the end of the runway! Thanks again.

Jim posts on pilots of America you can leave a post for him there.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Back